How We Successfully Potty Trained!

Monday, August 19, 2019 Umm Khadeejah 0 Comments



So it's been almost a year since we officially potty trained. (By we, I mean my daughter, ofcourse. Ha!) I actually wrote this blog post a week after we went diaper-free but I never got around to finishing it. *Disclaimer:* I'm no expert on this matter but I just wanted to share my experience and also to jot it down for future reference for when it's little sissy's turn to potty train. Note: I did not follow any specific potty-training methods, it was mostly trial and error. 


Signs of Readiness

There are a few tell-tale signs that a toddler is ready for potty training, so here's a link I googled for you. 


Some of the basic ones are:

🚽Pulling at a wet or dirty diaper. (Feeling uncomfortable in it)
🚽Hiding to pee or poop.
🚽Interest in others' use of the potty, or copying their behavior.
🚽Having a dry diaper for a longer-than-usual time.
🚽Awakening dry from a nap.
🚽Telling you they are doing their business or have already done it. 

Khadeejah had shown all these signs at around 2 and a half years old and I was so eager to get her started especially cos I was expecting her little sibling and I really didn't want to have two kids in diapers at the same time. But I kept putting it off and by the time I decided to implement it I was already in my third trimester and I was just too exhausted and did not have enough patience for the clean up. So unfortunately or fortunately for us, I gave up early and couldn't follow through with her. 

So note to self: DO NOT potty-train if you are pregnant cos it requires a lot of bending down, accidents and clean-ups, so the whole ordeal can become too stressful for you and your tot and it doesn't do anyone any good. 


Coax them into it

The first thing I did before pursuing this was to talk to her about it. What I learnt with my weaning off experience with Kha was that mentally preparing her for it is just as important as the training process. I kept telling her that soon she will have to stop wearing diapers and learn how to use the toilet just like mummy and abi. I'd give it a few weeks until the first training day begins. 

I know of a few friends who actually bought story books on potty training to introduce the concept to them which I think is a good idea too! There's even a soft cloth 'busy' book (click image for more info) all about going to the potty which I think is SUPER cute, I might actually get one for Aaminah when the time comes. 

Anyway, due to the first failed attempt, she definitely understood the notion of going to the toilet and she has even done it a few times successfully. However, it was inconsistent and it would only be when I felt like she was about to go, then I'd immediately put her on the seat. (BTW I did not buy a mini potty and/or training seat cos I just felt like it just adds another unnecessary step. Plus, I wanted her to get used to the real toilet straight away.) BUT, it can actually be a little dangerous cos she fell butt first into the toilet bowl a few times (it's was soo funny though and she laughed about it too 😂), so if I were to buy anything to aid it, it would be one of these training seats (see images below) to make it more comfortable for them. And also it would help them be more independent as well, so they could try going by themselves without asking for your help constantly. 
Baby Early Learning Soft Cloth Books Animal Embroidery Go to the Toilet Take a Shower Education Toys Toilet cloth book


Get them excited and involved

Encourage them everyday about it and make them feel excited about it. "You're a big girl now, you should use the toilet like a big girl" and I could tell she really wanted that. We even went out shopping for her 'big girl panties' and she got to choose it herself and couldn't wait to try it on for real! Also I'd highly recommend getting some training pants (see image below) before moving on to the panties/underwear as it would reduce the amount of clean ups and catch those nasty poos! My dear friend was kind enough to lend me some so I didn't have to buy any but you can get it online here too. There are some really cute options available! I'd definitely get these for Aaminah later on. (Saving this here for reference!)

Image result for set-of-5-animal-series-training-pants-kids-potty-cloth-diaper-soft-kids-nappies-3723-69129181-ae5e887feca3d46a7ba9b743e8a7df5f-catalog.jpg


Clear your schedule

When it was time, I made sure I had no plans for the week and we stayed home all week. It may even take two - three weeks. But definitely make sure that you don't have any big events coming up that could disrupt this training process! 

Accidents will happen

Whether you like it or not, expect accidents to happen for the first few days especially. Use training pants to reduce the mess and roll up your carpets! (<-- A tip from a good friend) Even if you don't, just make sure they stay away from places that are difficult to clean up. This happened quite a number of times and I feel it is even necessary for them, cos pretty soon my toddler felt really uncomfortable with wetting and soiling herself in her training pants. Whenever that happens, don't get angry or upset at them but keep reminding them to tell you before they feel like peeing/pooping or go to the toilet right away. Praise them every time they DO tell you and does it in the toilet. 

Once you've done this a couple of times you'd soon recognise a pattern and estimate when it is they need to pee or poo. Take note of when they have a cup of drink and put them on the seat about half an hour after. I could definitely tell when she was about to do the no.2 cos she'd try to find a hiding spot. So I told her, she can hide in the toilet instead. It worked, and she even shoo'd me out and told me to close the door so she could have her privacy! I was so stoked when that happened! 

As she gets more used to this, I just kept reminding til she can remember it herself. At first she'd only tell me the VERY moment she has to go, then slowly but surely she'd realise the 'feeling' before she needs to go and quickly rush to tell me! I can't remember how long it took but I think it was about a week - a week and a half til we got the potty-training settled. Sure, there were occasional accidents that happens even until now (but it's usually cos she was too occupied or excited to tell me or if she didn't go to the toilet before bed or having a nap).


sale


Bed-wetting

I should mention that all though she was already using the toilet during the day, I still had her on diapers during the night for about a month or two until I was fully confident she would not wet the bed. This happened a few times when I thought she was ready but then she wasn't. We just had to make sure she'd go to the toilet before bed and if she felt like peeing in the night she should wake up and let me know. It wasn't until after all of the bed-wetting phase that I realised I could've bought this waterproof bed sheet 😓. That could've saved me a lot of time and effort trying to clean up! Don't make the same mistake and invest in one of these! I'm definitely saving this here too for future reference: (click image for more info)




So there you have it! Our potty training experience in a nutshell. I don't know about you, but the moment we were done with this, it felt like a huge achievement for the both of us, to have finally ditched the diapers and on to bigger things. Also I was more than happy not to have 2 kids in diapers at the same time. 😅


Don't forget to follow me @muslimmummyhood on Instagram and/or Facebook for more updates on our homeschooling journey and my musings on motherhood!
BaarakAllahu feekum. 


sale




0 comments :